Several combative martial art disciplines fall under the term “grappling”. At The Barracks, we specialize in two of these disciplines: Wrestling and No-Gi Jiu-Jitsu.
Here at The Barracks, we fundamentally break down and discuss the similarities and the differences of the two arts. And understanding this, we know how to bridge the gap between the two disciplines.
- Wrestling is an art that is focused on explosive takedowns from a standing position.
- No-Gi Jiu-Jitsu is a combative art primarily taking place on the ground.
In the realm of self-defense, and/or in a competition setting, we find the two arts to be very compatible, and very effective when taught together. The Coaches at The Barracks have the credentials and the passion for the two arts and are very eager to share this passion with their students.
Where there is passion and understanding, it creates an environment of accelerated learning and a strong sense of comradery.
Coach Mario is a Wrestling State Champion and Big Ten Champion. He is a No – Gi World Champion and currently a brown belt in Jiu – Jitsu.
- 2021 4th ADCC East Coast trial
- 2018 2nd ADCC East Coast trial
- 2017 World IBJJF Jiu Jitsu [No-Gi] Champion
- 2014 NCAA Qualifier
- 2013 NCAA Qualifier
- 2012 Big Ten Champion
- 2012 NCAA Qualifier
- 2009 IHSA Class AAA champion
- 2008 placed third at IHSA Class AA state
- 2007 placed fourth at IHSA Class AA state
- Three-time DuPage Valley Conference champion
Coach Luis is a 2021 No-Gi World Champion in the Blue Belt division.
Currently ranked 5th in the world according to IBJJF official rankings. Coach Luis Gonzalez is a Combat Veteran, serving 8 years in the Marine Corp, having deployed to Iraq and Afghanistan.
- 2021 World IBJJF Jiu-Jitsu [No-Gi]- Champion
- 2021 IBJJF Chicago Summer International Open- Champion
- 2021 Grappling Industries Chicago- Champion
- 2021 Grappling Industries Chicago- Absolute Champion
- 2018 IBJJF Chicago Summer International Open Champion
- 2018 Chicago Fuji BJJ Champion
To provide an environment where individuals can develop important values and principles that will encourage a positive lifestyle.
To make a strong impact in people’s lives by facilitating a process of continuous self-improvement. Using Wrestling and No-Gi Jiu-Jitsu as a vehicle to build character, self-confidence and discipline. To form a tenacious mentality that is resilient, adaptive and persevering, to overcome challenges; not only inside of The Barracks but outside of The Barracks.